In need of some zzz’s?
In need of some Zzzs? Sleep is one of the biggest factors in how we feel and our overall health. In fact, not getting enough sleep is associated with chronic conditions, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and depression, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
But there’s good news—sleep doesn’t have to be elusive. Tune up your sleep routine for better Zzzs and better days ahead. Here’s how.
- Get moving! Exercise during the day, and no later than a few hours before bedtime, is an effective way to feel tired and sleepy at the end of the day. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise daily for better rest.
2. Power down. Turn off the TV, stop scrolling, and unplug from any devices that emit light 30 minutes to one hour before sleep. Bright light, and blue light from smartphones and tablets, can increase wakefulness.
3. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed. While drinking alcohol after dinner may feel relaxing and make you sleepy initially, alcohol is closely linked with poor sleep and can be a contributing factor to insomnia
4. Create the sleep space of dreams. Environment can significantly impact sleep patterns. Ensure your bedroom is cool, quiet, and dark for sleep. Relaxing colors, like blues, grays, silvers, and neutrals to promote feelings of calm.
5. Establish a routine. Set a pattern and schedule for sleep that stays the same every day of the week—a bedtime that allows at least seven hours of sleep, ending evening activities early enough to have downtime, and finding what helps you relax. Some people find comfort in an evening bath with low lighting, reading a book or magazine, listening to soothing music, or winding down with calm music, yoga, or meditation.
“I am so thankful that I found Haygood products! I have been struggling with insomnia for several years. I don’t care for synthetic sleep aids and their side effects, so I am always looking for alternative sleep products. Since I started using Haygood’s Be Good capsules I have not had any trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I wake up rested and refreshed, without any of the adverse side effects of prescription or over the counter meds. I love this product and highly recommend it to everyone I know that struggles with sleep.”