Mushroom supplements seem to be everywhere now. They are on the menu at the smoothie cafes, marketed as an alternative to coffee and touted as a marvel that can offer seemingly boundless health benefits. Surely, you’ve heard the buzz, right?
Even with all that trending content, you might still have some questions about what mushroom supplements are as well as what mushroom supplement benefits you might want to take advantage of. And, of course, how to choose the right one for you is likely on your mind too. So, let’s start learning mushrooms, shall we?
Answers To Your 6 Most Frequently Asked Mushroom Supplement Questions
1. What are mushroom supplements? Mushroom supplements generally come in a capsule form that contain dried extract of adaptogenic mushrooms like Reishi, Chaga and Maitake just to name a few. Adaptogenic mushrooms are not the type you would buy from a grocery store. They have health boosting properties and the mushroom supplement is made from an extract that offers a higher concentration of those properties. Depending on the blend, they can offer benefits such as promoting energy, combatting stress, reducing inflammation or strengthening the immune system.
2. Are mushroom supplements just a trending fad? It might seem like the bandwagon effect is taking place with all the news and hype around mushroom supplements, but they’ve actually featured as a medicinal tool for thousands of years. Dating back to 450 BC, the Greek physician Hippocrates was using the amadou mushroom as treatment for reducing inflammation and cauterizing wounds. In the East, Chinese medical texts dating back to 206 BC describe reishi mushrooms as a tonic against aging.
3. What mushroom supplement benefits should I expect? The amount of studies in existence are limited but early trials show promising results. Mushrooms like Reishi have shown ability to strengthen the immune system and contribute to overall better health. While each mushroom supplement blend is unique and offers its own set of benefits, your mushroom blends may help to increase energy and stamina, manage blood sugar and support a healthy nervous system. Mushroom supplements may also be able to reduce inflammation and support those going through cancer treatments.
4. Tell me more about the mushroom types and their benefits. There is a vast landscape of mushrooms that can be taken as a dietary supplement for a variety of uses. For these purposes, we are going to focus on the properties and benefits of three popular standouts – the Reishi, Chaga and Maitake mushrooms.
Reishi – Reishi mushrooms can be traced back to ancient Chinese medical texts that outlined their ability to combat the effects of aging. In more recent times, the reishi mushroom has shown promising results in boosting the immune system and helping it to combat cancer.
Chaga – The chaga mushroom is found growing wild on birch trees in the northern hemisphere. It looks like a dark clump of dirt more than a traditional mushroom, but is distinguished from other growths by its orange tissue. According to Mud\Wtr, the trending mushroom coffee company, chaga mushrooms provide energy and mood enhancement.
Maitake – The Maitake is a type of adaptogen. Adaptogens assist the body in fighting against mental or physical stressors and can work to regulate systems of the body that have become unbalanced. The Maitake grows wild in parts of Japan, China and North America at the bottom of Oak, Elm and Maple trees.
Mushrooms offer almost universally are rich in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, including:
- B-complex Vitamins
- Vitamin D
- Amino Acids
Additional benefits of mushrooms can include lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, reducing inflammation, controlling blood sugar and reducing the side effects of medical treatments and prescription drugs.
5. Will mushroom supplements make me hallucinate? There is a type of mushroom that contains Psilocybin. Also known as magic mushrooms, these mushrooms can cause hallucinogenic effects. Your mushroom supplement, however, does not contain that compound and does not create that high or hallucinogenic feel. Good question, though.
6. How do I choose a mushroom supplement? This is one of the most important questions you can ask. Now that you have (most likely) gotten intrigued with the healing properties of mushroom supplements, you naturally turn your attention to choices, options and quality. And, quality does matter. Understanding what you are putting into your body will protect you from poor quality ingredients that could cause harm, eliminate fillers or unnecessary ingredients that you just don’t need and increase the ability of the mushroom to imbue its healing into your system. Let’s explore what to look for in a mushroom supplement.
- Look for fewer non-mushroom ingredients. Of course, some additional ingredients may bring lots of value to your supplement, like CBD. Just be sure you know and want all the ingredients to be a part of your supplement.
- Choose a brand that cares about their own quality. It may take a few extra moments but get to know the brand you buy your mushroom supplement from. It will most likely be easy to see whether they have a passion for excellence in their products or, well, not.
- Seek out organic when possible. Just like with your grocery list, organic ingredients in your supplements are quintessential to potency and overall benefits. Look for mushroom supplements that have been cultivated organically.